Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sacrifice

Thanksgiving has always held mixed emotions for me. On one side, I love the togetherness it instills in people- the need to be with family, connected not by gifts, (as is often the case with Yule) but with the need to be grateful for something- each other.

On the other hand...

Native Americans do not look at this day as we do. A few hundred years ago, a handful of the native peoples of this continent gave- selflessly- of themselves and the land to sustain a huddling mass of Pilgrims. These ex-patriots had arrived, they were starving, and out of the goodness of their hearts, the Native Americans did something about it. Years later, the repayment for this act of kindness would be high treason.

I had nothing to do with it. My grandparents came over from Poland and set up a bakery in New York City. They weren't the ones breaking promises and spilling blood. But it still makes me uncomfortable to think about it.

The Native Americans gave the ultimate sacrifice. They gave of their homes and their land- their traditions and their beautiful religion. They gave until there was nothing left, and then they still gave.

Thanksgiving is not a nameless holiday. It may be lost in all of our turkey-talk and parades, but the origin is still there under all the rubble. Take it up- dust it off. Look at it- if you can.



"The Trail of Tears" was a painting that was repeated in every single one of my history books, growing up. It was in my first grade one. I remember seeing that painting, when I was so small, and feeling an overwhelming sadness within me. I wanted to change their fate. I made up stories for each person in the painting, and gave them all happy endings. Perhaps, in that tiny act, I was adding a bit of positive energy to it. In the end, I certainly don't think it hurt.

As Pagans, it is our responsibility to honor the earth and each other. On this Thanksgiving, then, give a kind thought to the keepers of the land, long before our time. Above all... be grateful for them.

We haven't forgotten where this beautiful country came from. And I, most certainly, honor it.

~*~


Light a virtual candle in gratitude of the beautiful legacy the First Nations have left us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home